Port infrastructures need a high energy supply due to the activities that are carried out in them, which can easily become a source of pollution. Those situations can be solved through renewable energy use. Given the type of resources, infrastructure and facilities of the ports, marine renewable energy can be considered an adequate alternative.
Understanding this context, the PORTOS project looks to evaluate, develop and promote the integrated use of renewable energy resources in Atlantic Area ports. It focuses especially on marine renewable energies, such as wave, tidal and wind energy. This way, environmental sources for ports can make a positive impact on the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and air pollution by providing renewable energy-based potential solutions for coastal areas.
On the other hand, the project will also look to improve the ports energy efficiency. That's why, a road map, towards a more competitive and sustainable sector that contributes to climate change mitigation, will take place.
The project will be conducted through the case of studies in ports, in which, the following activities will be carried out:
1. Audits on energy efficiency in case-of-studie ports.
2. Implementation Plans for the marine renewable energys.
3. To establish a road map to be used as a guide to achieving energy self-sufficiency in ports.
4. Hybrid technologies display.
5. Creation of a decisions-making support system, for the implementation of renewable energies.
6. Organization of conferences and "Open Day / Open Lab" activities to involve society and ceate awarnessa bout the importance of the marine renewable energy development.
7. Transfer of knowledge to stakeholders, end-users, and society.
Recently approved by the Interreg-Espacio Atlántico (2018), and is at the beginning of the implementation of the activities.
In February 2020, the Seminar on Renewable Marine Energies was held. A series of experts on the subject, in addition to the project partners themselves, participated in this conference with more than 100 attendees. It is possible to download the presentations of the conference at the following link: SEMR presentations
Link to the official website of the project: https://portosproject.eu/